SD Project - History
Monday, March 20, 2006
  A summer break - end of June 05



I know this isn’t remodeling, but I wanted to show that we do have a life outside of working on the house.

Today my hubby got a new toy.

We have two sickle mowers, but this will be better for along the fence lines. This is what hubby will pull it with. We got this tractor back in WI at an auction. Hubby has rebuilt the engine and some other stuff. He still needs to work on the hydraulics – he hopes to have time while he is laid off during the winter.

And here the guys go (son and hubby) trying the new cutter out. The horses thought it was interesting too. Son had to come back and get the BB gun. After a few shots in the rump, the horses decided they would find something else of interest.

Over the Fourth of July weekend, I decided to do some gardening. I’d brought some plants from WI, and they had been in a temporary spot since September 03.

I picked a spot near the road, on the north side of the house. Eventually I plan on having the whole area landscaped with lots of flowers and neat stuff like ponds and bridges and even a gazebo. I love gardening, but until I’m done with the house, I don’t have much time.

I mowed the grass as short as I could, then got out the tiller and started chewing up the sod.

Had hubby bring me several buckets of well decomposed cow manure – have a few feet of it in the run in shed.

Get that all worked in, and start laying out the path and rocks. I love putting rocks in the garden. We’ve got plenty of rocks on the property too.

Then it’s time to start adding plants. I’ll add a lot more in the spring. Gardening here in SD is quite a bit different than where I lived in MN and WI, so I don’t know how well some of these plants will do.

And the cats were helpful, as usual


Since I am actually writing this in March of 06, I’ll add that after I got everything planted, the chickens took a real shine to that flowerbed. I think they dug up and killed most of the plants. I’m not going to do more until I solve the chicken problem. We got rid of most of the older hens over the winter, and so far this spring, the younger ones are way happier heading to the west (the pasture) instead of to the east and the yard. We’ll be fixing up a different building for their coop that is even farther away from the yard. If that does not work, either the chickens or the garden will have to be fenced in. Not sure which it will be yet.


Cathy

 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives - January has from when we started, August 04 to June 05 March has July 05 to Dec 05 The above link has Jan 06 foward
January 2006 / March 2006 /


Powered by Blogger